Sunday, September 26, 2010

i miss this.


when one door closes another door opens; BUT we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones that open for us. ~Alexander Graham Bell




Yesterday I made a spur of the moment decision. Spontaneity always brightens life. Lately, I have been feeling like something was missing. Do you ever get that feeling, where generally things are ok, but something just seems a little off? That was me yesterday.

I wasn't exactly sure why I was feeling like I was feeling. I woke up, and it was a typical Saturday morning; ate breakfast, read for awhile, ran a few miles, watched college football... but I just felt restless... Something was missing!

This is where that spur of the moment decision comes in... I drove to the city. I was able to enjoy some much needed conversation with the wonderful friend I shared a room with for a whole year. I was able to enjoy watching an incredibly talented friend do what he does best. I was able to enjoy the richness of community and fellowship at a church I dearly miss. I was able to enjoy encouragement and laughter with a spiritual mentor I truly admire. I was able to enjoy randomly catching up with an old coworker. I was able to enjoy a delicious brunch surrounded by closest friends.

And on the way home, one sentence was rehearsing itself over and over again in my mind... I MISS THIS. I don't miss the noise, concrete, nightlife, shops, taxis, restaurants, cta, or the moving scenery. I miss the people. I miss those who the Lord allowed to enrich my soul.

Longing and loneliness can sometimes cloud the peace and assurance I have about where God has me these days, yet I know I am right where I need to be. I continue to be grateful that Chicago is only 40minutes away.

No comments: