Saturday, September 10, 2011

Running.


I took a hiatus from running for nearly two months... but for the past three weeks I have been back in action. It is incredible to me how long it takes your body to get back to where it was when you left it. Even if I stop for a week, I feel like I have not run ever before in my life. This is all changing though. I found few things get me motivated enough to stay on track. I just get sidetracked so easily by other things in life. But, I have found that paying money for a race that I have to run on a certain day helps me tremendously. On October 1st, I will be traveling back to the hometown, Morris... to the annual Grundy Co. Corn Fest. I am really pumped to run the 5k with my cousin's wife Sarah, who has become a really close friend over this past year being back with my parents. I am also proud to say that my big bro Mark gave us the idea in the first place. I am so happy that he and Erin will be running too...

Here's what I love about 5ks... everyone is excited when they gather together at the starting line... people are smiling and joking with each other, and as you run, you realize you are using your body to do something to benefit others. You look around at all the people next to you, behind you, and in front of you that are doing the same thing. It's a great feeling. No pressure because you have many miles ahead. It is an extremely attainable goal. Together, you are a part of something. You think to yourself, you could have slept in all those days, or sat on the couch, or checked your facebook, but instead you decided to get out and run... and because of that, you pin a little four digit number across your front and run. And as you cross the finish line, you see those who went before you, and those that will still come after you. A feeling of honest pride begins to fill you, for you have accomplished what you set out to do.

I guess this is what you do on a Saturday afternoon, when you really have nothing else to do... you blog about what you are looking forward to on a page that close to ten people read a month. Regardless of how many read, it doesn't lessen my excitement for the Cornfest 5k.... next stop half marathon (maybe).

No comments: