Wednesday, February 23, 2011

the beauty of the aged.


I am starting to realize more and more that I find more beauty in something old than in something new... OF COURSE, that may not always be the case, but an ancient ruin, an old photograph of my grandparents in the 1920s (seen to the left), a worn down hillside, or a hymnal from 1885 tucked amidst other books in an antique shop more often catch my eye than the latest fashions in magazines, the newest edition of To Kill A Mocking Bird at Barnes and Nobel, or the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta on the last commercial I just saw. This past weekend I was able to visit some dear friends in Durham, NC. While there, I took some time to shop at some antique shops... that hymnal I mentioned before is no longer tucked amidst those other books... it lies open before me. I plan these next couple of weeks to post some of the words from the 271 hymns within. I hope they touch your soul as they are touching mine. I continue to be richly blessed by what other saints before me have penned about my Savior. Enjoy!

I Need Thee.

Blessed Saviour, my Redeemer, In thy mercy, hear my call;
How I need thy grace to keep me, Every moment, lest I fall.
Lord, I need thy hand to guide me Wheresoe'er my path may be;
O! I need thy love so tender, None can ever love like thee.
Bend thou thine ear, Thy promise all my plea; I need thy love, thy tender love
O! grant it, Lord, to me, O! grant it, Lord, to me.

Words by Frank Gould.

No comments: